Wednesday, January 7, 2015

No Fuss Party Planning

My hot date has a December birthday and when he was born one of the first things I decided is he would not be cheated out of a birthday just because it was close to the most major holiday on earth! It was not his fault when he was born, in fact it was mine (but that's another blog). In my decision to not cheat him I realized that I meant that he would have a party on or near his birthday. Birthday party planning is a unique challenge some parents either chose to deal with or not deal with. Here is what I do for my child:

1. Look at my budget-I have yet to meet a parent (n real life) with a bottomless wallet. Some parents have more to spend on parties than others. Spending or not spending tons of money does not equate to a better party. In fact, I have had a shoe string budget at times and have had some amazing parties. 

2. Pick a place-after I get a budget in place I look for what I can afford and what works with what my sweet boy desires. Let me just say that he loves Laser Tag but that stuff is expensive and that is before you provide any food. So pick your place carefully. And be sure to ask the important questions:
How early can I set up?
May I bring my own food?
What are the times available?
What is the capacity of the room/venue?

3. Set the date and time-keep in mind that time determines how much food you will serve. If you arrange your party during the hours of 10:30 am-1:00 pm everyone will expect lunch and the same goes for dinner times. 2:00-4:00 pm is the best time to do cake, ice cream and drinks. 
Setting the date is important because whats the point of a party when none of the guest can come. Be mindful of who you are inviting. Sunday parties are hard for the church goers like me. I explained early on to my hot date we would try to make Sunday parties but God came first. I think over the years parents have learned due to low turn out that Sunday parties are just too hard. 
Fruit Kabobs made the night before the party

4. Actual Planning-before you plan reference your budget and look at your "must have's"
For me I must have:
cake
food
goodie bags
Please know that not everyone is like me so make sure you are sticking to your budget or else what is the point of one. Grab one sheet of paper and fold in into fourths so that you have four sections. 
In my four sections I put: guest list, food items, money to be spent, check list. I carry this one sheet of paper with me until the day of the party. 

5. Making it easy for myself-hmm, what can you do to make it easier on yourself. If ordering pizza and having it delivered works for you do that. For me I make things ahead of time. This year we had fruit kabobs and I made those the night before. I made goodie bags the week before that. Each time I went shopping for party items I left it in the car so that the car was basically packed when it was time to head out. 

Party Planning is not a favorite for some parents and an absolute joy for others. Keep in mind that party planning for kids has an end date and will not last forever. These are not absolutes but guides. Be sure to enjoy your children at whatever stage they are in and have fun. Don't be in such a hurry for them to grow up, time will take care of that for you. 
Mitchell's 5 birthday party at a bowling alley


Be sure to subscribe to my weekly blog for a bit of humor, insight and just fun added to your life. My hot date and I thank you!


No comments:

Post a Comment