Monday, June 30, 2014

Letting Your Children Experience New Things

Letting your children experience new things is a scary and fun thing for parents to do. It also depends on how you child is experiencing new things and with whom. I dropped my hot date off at Pine Cove Camp in the City this morning and we were greeted by 20 young counselors in green and khaki singing good morning and cheering us on as we drove into the parking lot. As I drove to the back of the building, several huge inflatables came into view. We counted 4 and then my hot date spotted what I call a “bungee” jump. Kids are put into a harness (much like rock climbing) and allowed to jump and flip with the aid of ropes. Its a fabulous idea and I am kinda jealous they were not around when I was a kid. 

Once inside, I immediately noticed the gymnasium of the school they are hosting at was turned into an African Safari with about 20 pop tents set up around the room and a variety of counselors telling you where to go and who your child’s counselor would be. Each tent was labeled with a tent name and then the counselors name right under it. My hot date was in awe and stood next to me trying to take it all in. While I filled out his pick up and drop information worksheet he was guided to a tent to meet his counselor. After I turned in the rest of my paperwork i walked over to where he was to say good bye. He glanced at me and waved......his counselor reminded my of my friend Robb Ripley. I walked away smiling knowing if that kid was half the counselor Robb was back in the day, my hot date was in excellent hands. 

But how do you begin to feel this comfortable with trying out a new situation?


  1. Be nosy, ask questions, be a mom....that's what we do. I am always relying on trustworthy friends to give me the scoop on anything new. Note, I said trustworthy! I have learned through my own experiences not to trust just anyone when it comes to my child. There are a few people I smile politely at when they make suggestions and keep on going. This is not the time to be outgoing and trusting. We are talking about our children. 
  2. Research! There is this amazing tool we all have at our fingertips and it is called the world wide web. Google the information that you need. If there are no phone numbers to call and no addresses or list of reviews.....move on, this is a red flag!
  3. Go check it out. If you still have doubts and want to know more, do a drive by and/or go visit the place. I did this when I wanted my son to take tumbling classes at The Little Gym.
  4. Talk to the staff. Ask the staff if their children attend or have been through what you want your child to experience. Obviously the camp counselors are so young they do not have nor will they have children in camp. However, its telling if they all went to this camp as a kid and have returned to be a counselor. That is exactly how I became involved as a volunteer at The Foster YMCA and eventually Board Chair of the Alief YMCA.  
  5. Ask your child. What a novel idea? Ask you kid (only if they are old enough to make the decision) if they are interested in baseball camp/sewing camp/. Children have loads of opinions if asked and even if they are not asked. 
These are not absolutes just guides. Enjoy your children at every stage and learn to appreciate where they are. Don't be in such a hurry for them to grow up, time will take care of that for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment