Monday, October 8, 2012

Quality Clothing For Children

jacket and t-shirt from Gymboree--lasted three years (purchased a size big)
"OMG....he looks adorable, where did you find that outfit?"
"Mitchell is so handsome, and he wears clothing so well."
"Is that a crease in his pants?"
"You iron all his clothes?"

These are comments I have gotten over the years on my son's clothing and how nice he always looks. One of my pet peeves is disheveled looking children. Its one thing for them to come back in the house dirty and with clothing all askew but to leave the house that way is just a crime in my opinion. 

I have also spent years teaching my son to take pride in his appearance, not in a vain and conceited way but to fix his waist band, pull your shirt out of your pants, make sure your zipper is zipped, is your clothing straight.....and so on. 
His velvet Christmas Suit he wore for 2 years I cannot give away.

But do I spend lots of money on Mitchell's clothing? Where do I buy it and how it is that he looks neat when he arrives where ever he goes?
So here is how I do it.....
1. I normally only shop these three places where I know the quality is outstanding and can tolerate the beating my son give it, Gap, Gymboree, Children's Place.
2. None of these places are cheap so I save $100 here and a $100 bucks there and go shopping when there are sales, gymboree bucks and coupons. Love me some coupons!!!
3. I also buy out of season, so I just bought shorts for next spring and t-shirts. I bought coats and jackets this summer.
4. I have friends that love to hand down clothing and I gladly take it. It may only last a season but that helps me financially fill in his clothing gaps like button downs for church or athletic shorts. I hand down clothing as well. 
5. The three places I mentioned above all have outlets and clearance sections on line. I shop Old Navy, Crazy 8 and Gymboree Outlet.
6. I have one child so I drip dry everything, and it helps the clothing last past a year. We get get up to 3 years out of shorts, especially Gap shorts and about two years out of shirts and jeans. 
7. After drip drying I take a hot iron and teeny bit of starch and and knock out the wrinkles. For his uniforms I put creases in the pants and shirts. I iron t-shirts as well. No need to frown up, I am simply telling you how I have managed all these years. You can take my advice or leave it. 
8. Shoes are another matter all together. I buy flip flops at Children's Place at the end of the summer, they cost about $2 a pair. You can also get pretty good sandals and flip flops at Academy. For dress shoes and tennis shoes I shop at Gap. Children's Place, Marshall's, Shoe Sense, Pay Less and Rack Room Shoes. It just depends. 
9. I pay good money for underwear but do not drip dry it....the better quality the longer it lasts. I bought size 4's when he was 3 and they lasted till he was 5. Now we are in 6's and they are holding up well.
10. Dress clothing is a real crap shoot. There isn't much out there for young boys just baby boys and older boys. So I search when I need it and try to prepare myself  a season ahead. I normally buy for Easter right after Christmas and Christmas in July. 

these are not absolutes but guides. I never looked a hot mess and never want my kid to either. I dress him well and tell him he looks good. He stands up straight and takes pride in his appearance. He hears all the compliments and he enjoys it. Is he vain? No. Does he come back in the house filthy with dirt all over his clothes and sand in his under ware, of course, he is a boy. And that's what they are supposed to do. But he leaves this house looking neat and tidy and he knows I expect nothing less. Teach your children to take pride in themselves when they are young. Its a lesson worth teaching. 
Enjoy your children at every stage, feel free to leave a comment and until our next hot date....

www.gap.com
www.gymboree.com
www.childrensplace.com
I love this sweater vest, it is one I will keep and not give away. 

No comments:

Post a Comment