Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Tidbit Tuesday: Lend a Helping Hand When You See People Need It.

Taken from my face book page yesterday....Sweetest cutest couple in the grocery store. He was about 5'4 and she was maybe 4'11 on a good day. They were both standing in the soda isle gazing at the top shelf when I happened by. They didn't speak English so I pointed to something I thought they wanted and she moved my arm till I touched the right one then she proceeded to usher me down the isle to more stuff on the top shelf. Anyone else need help? LOL.
Now just in case you are unaware, I am 5'11 and have been getting things down off shelves for family most of my life. Its kind of a running joke, but  seriously I don’t mind. It’s no one's fault how tall or short they are.
And getting things off shelves is not all I am capable of doing and neither are you. We’ve all seen women struggle with strollers, older people burden with packages and folks generally in need of help. Seriously, folks! How hard is it to help out?
I am no marter but I do like to cook and that is my love language. If you are a friend and you need me to cook I will.  It makes my day to show up with a meal just when parents are at their wits end.  But if you are not a chef other things are great too. Our neighbor helps us with yard work. I watch my friends children when she is in a bind. I type documents for my cousin. JUST HELP!
Let me get you started:
1.   Women with children normally don’t want you to hold the baby so say, “if you hang onto the kids I can……..(push the cart, load a bag, open the door)
2.      If someone is struggling with something heavy, walk over and say may I help?
3.      Hold the door open for women with children and the elderly; I should not have to even write this.
4.      Help pump someone’s gas!
5.      Load an elderly person’s car with their groceries
6.      If people look like they need help, ask them, may I help you?
7.      GIVE DIRECTIONS, if you don’t know your phone has GPS!
8.      Moms with special needs children may need your assistance too. Ask them if they need help
9.      If your co-workers are frustrated at their desk and you can hear it, walk over and assist.
10. And my all time favorite….if someone is coughing a lot…..bring them some water, please.
Even if you offer your help and it turns out that can’t help it is still nice to be asked. These are not absolutes just guides. Help someone when you can and how you can. Its a nice thing for both parties.
Enjoy your children at every stage. Have fun and see ya next time.
www.christcommunityhouston.com
www.ymcahouston.org

No comments:

Post a Comment