Monday, August 6, 2012

How did we end up with a family of foodies?

This summer we traveled to the East Coast to visit family. And on the way back to Texas we promised Mitchell’s Granny (his father’s mother) that we would stop in Mississippi to visit. His granny greeted us with a truly southern meal of fried green tomatoes, cabbage, pork chops and cream corn and corn bread. We fell in and ate our way out! That meal was excellent. WE love Mississippi and Granny!
Mitchell and his granny and his father

Mitchell and Granny have a very special relationship and it is really cute to see. He loves her dearly and she him.  He brags about her cooking and sewing and she just beams when he does.  I am so pleased that God has blessed them so much. Her love of cooking and his love of eating have turned him into a true foodie!


Mitchell eating a tomato right off the vine at Uncle Kenny's

We eat pretty healthy at home as well. Mitchell and his LaLa (my mother) have a foodie relationship as well. They go grocery shopping together. He loves Kroger, Fiesta and any fish market. His favorite foods are salmon, crab and lobster (whew this kid has expensive taste). He enjoys watching the crabs in the barrels and always wants to see the lobsters in the tank. He enjoys all types of food is not what I would call a picky eater. He knows people in his family love to cook and he loves to sit and watch me and my mother and his granny. If I take him to the store and buy a whole chicken and head to the seafood isle next he starts licking his lips and saying……hmmmm, gumbo! The boy knows his stuff! LOL

His love of food makes you want to cook.
Fresh Fruit and Cream Ingredients

So how do you get your kids to eat healthy foods? And why is it so important.
1.      My goal was to introduce the good stuff early. And I did. I wish I had pictures of Mitchell at 6 months shoving blackberries into his mouth with both hands. He still loves them.
2.      He has to try everything and if he doesn’t like it he is allowed to say no thank you. I won’t force food on him if I know he doesn’t like it.
3.      I try not to set him up for failure. I don’t serve fish with bones and when I serve a veggie he’s not fond of I serve his favorite carb like a baked potato or Mac and cheese.
4.      Serving raw veggies with a great tasting dip is great for any age child. My friend Kim makes a hot spinach dip and her son loves to dip his veggies in it. Most children love ranch dressing.
5.      NEVER underestimate the power of applesauce.
6.      I serve fresh fruit and cream, not cool whip but whipped heavy cream with a tsp of sugar and dash of vanilla. Super healthy and he gets his vitamin D.
7.      Grilled meats are super healthy and you don’t have to fire up the grill. Most of us have those stovetop grills or pans what grill—use ‘em
8.      Flavor food well. My main flavors are garlic, salt, pepper, onion powder and Italian spices and rubbing olive oil on meats keeps them juicy.
9.      The spice isle in the grocery store has a section of easy to make sauces, rubs and marinated for food. Use em!
10.  Snacks are ok in moderation our favorites are air popped popcorn, chips and dip, fresh fruit, or coffee---creamer with coffee for him and a sweet (a super treat)
11. I never wanted to be the cool mom or the prettiest mom, I wanted to be the cooking Mom and I think I am headed that way. Mitchell's friend Andrew asked me about "my chicken" the other day at the zoo.....I think its almost official.
Grilled Salmon

These are not absolutes but guides. As single parents we need to prepare our boys and girls for the future.  Good food is everywhere and so is the junk. Eating healthy at a young age makes your children better able to make sound choices later on. Eating healthy is the life long goal.

Enjoy your children as they mature. Find something to love about every stage.

Please feel free to leave comments or questions, until our next date have a good one!


No comments:

Post a Comment