Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Sweet Kids, How Do You Get Them?

Sunday morning I woke up to cabinets slamming and rummaging sounds coming from the kitchen. I had no idea what it was so I called out to my son, "Mitchell what are you doing?"
"Nothing Mom, its something special for you because I love you"
I laid there for a second and prayed he would not break anything or shinny up on the counter. 5 minutes later he appeared in my door way with a tray. 
"Here Mommy I wanted to fix you breakfast in bed."
"Awww, thank you sweetheart, Mommy loves you too!"
Breakfast in bed-bread, goldfish and black grapes

I am not sure how or why I was blessed with such sweetness but I am not complaining nor am I sad about it. I wish that every parent had one as sweet as mine. And the kitchen was not a terrible mess when I did get up to look at it. I get so excited for his future when he does things like this. I love what he comes up with on his own. It means that his heart is good and prayerfully he will do things later in life like this for a wife and his children. It just makes me smile and thank God for him every day. 
But how do you as a parent teach such sweetness and get your children to be giving? 
1. some children just come hard wired that way
2. teach by example, my grandmother was a giver and I watched her give all my life and wanted to do the same
3. talk about "acts of kindness"
4. volunteer and tell your children or take them to see what volunteering means
5. serve at church or their school and let them see you
6. make sure they are in environments where they see giving, for example church and volunteer opportunities, different charity organizations
7. search for opportunities online
8. show them examples of other kids giving, you can search the web
9. show them examples of adults that give of their time and talent
10. be the shining example for them

These are not absolutes but guides. Children learn most by example. My sons sees me cook and take to friends and who ever needs it, he sees me give to my mother and he wants to give to his friends and teachers. It did not take long to realize he was watching all the people he loved and wanted to be like them. Love your children at every stage. Feel free to leave a comment and until our next hot date.....

www.ymahouston.org
www.focusonthefamily.com




No comments:

Post a Comment