Wednesday, July 4, 2012

As the Olympics approach, I can’t help but think of the 1976 Olympics and watching them in NY with my Grandmother. I really wanted to see the gymnastics but it was at 3 am in the morning. She woke me up to watch and we had coffee and fruit with fresh cream. My Grandfather, sister and cousin were all upstairs still sleeping while she and I sat in the family room clutching steaming cups of coffee (mine was more cream and sugar) waiting for Nadia Comaneci to perform. Nadia got the first 10 ever in gymnastics on the uneven bars. I was 7 and I loved gymnastics (even thought I had been put out for reaching the maximum height for the uneven bars) and I adored my Grandmother. She has been gone for 22 years and this is still such a precious memory to me.  I watch my mother and son share such a special bond as well. It is magical to watch!

Mitchell and his grandmother with matching canes

Mitchell and Lala in matching outfits

This wasn’t the only time my Grandmother made me feel special. She made all of us feel special at different times. There are now three distinct ages of cousins in my family that make is easy on Grandparents. My oldest cousins are 55-51 and then I am in another set that ranges in age from 43-39 and the oldest cousins now have children that range in age from 20-16 and then comes Mitchell and Nina (both 6) in a class by themselves. All these gaps in age gave our grandparents the ability to spoil all sets of grandchildren.

My grandmother let us have real tea parties with real china (my mother came unglued that we were allowed in that room let alone able to touch the china).  My grandmother was a fabulous baker so we had real tea with tea cakes and finger sandwiches which we served to each other on silver platters. Oh man that was the life. Now my mother makes tea and banana bread and she and Mitchell use real tea pots and tea cups (I just smile).

So how do we make these precious moments for our children?

My grandmother lived in NY until her stroke in the mid 80’s. Our other grandparents lived across the bridge in NJ. The two sets of grandparents were friends and actually spent time together when the grandchildren were not around. Since we only got to visit in the summer my grandparents planned special outings and times for us. If you live in the same city as your child’s grandparent, holidays and weekends become extra special.
  1. Let Grandparents make the effort. If they want the grandchildren to visit, let them. You need a break.
  2. Don’t look to grandparents’ to enforce rules and behaviors that is a parent’s job.
  3. Let your child (ren) spend the night with them often.
  4. Try not to be so critical of the things they do to spoil your children. They won’t be here forever and they are making memories as my grandmother used to say.
  5. Have large family gatherings. When we go to visit the East Coast, we all gather at my Uncle’s house.
  6. Take lots of family pictures.
  7. Let the relationships develop naturally.

Family is so precious. Enjoy them as much as possible, tomorrow is not promised. No matter how big or small you are creating your own special memories.

Please feel free to leave comments or questions, until our next date have a good one!

Both sides of my grandparents and a few aunts and uncles


No comments:

Post a Comment