Saturday, July 14, 2012

Things learned as we travel.

My hot date, mother and I pulled into her brother's driveway at 7 pm eastern time, yesterday evening. We have been on the road (stopping, sleeping, taking pictures) since Thursday morning at 2 am. My hot date has learned to locate cities on a map, spell bigger words, read road signs and entertain himself in a car. We take at least one major road trip a year and some minor ones. Being a single mom, I am not able to afford air fare where ever we go so this is our compromise. My hot date loves being out on the open road. And I am thrilled about that because we will eventually have to head home. LOL
Mitchell in Virgina looking for more maps to read


My mother was a single mom for more than 6 years and when she first divorced (we were 2 and 3) the entire family wanted her to move back to NY. She did not want to..... So my Uncle asked what do you need? And she said "a break." I understand that very much these days.
Thus began our annual treks to Columbia, Md (home base as we called it) to visit family. All my grandparents in NY and NJ were still alive. My cousin Mike would go to NY with us and spend time with our Grandmother and great Aunts and Uncles......my all time favorite being my Uncle Mitchell.

And the memories we have from those times in NY are a true treasure. My grandmother was one of the greatest grandparent's ( I am bias..get over it!) ever! Looking back on it now,  I think that is because she worked at it. After NY we headed back to Columbia for a few weeks and another relative would pick Jill and I up and we would spend a week or two with them. We saw everyone during the summer. It was a dream childhood for a social kid like me. I learned to take care of myself and Jill. I learned that all families operate differently but they don't love any less. I learned that I loved the East Coast and the vibe here. The East Coast is where my heart is not because I ever lived there. But because the ones I love are all from there and have died here.

So how is it that my mother (single mom as well) was able to afford and do this every summer and how did we benefit?

1. SAVE
Like me or should I say,  I saved my tax refund for vacations like my mom. Where do you think I got the idea? LOL
2.  FINANCIAL BREAK
It was a given that we would go to MD giving my mother a break in the summer on food, clothing, and regular expenses. he could even save some money.
3. GIVING FROM THE HEART
My grandparents sent us home with a lot of school clothes.
4. TRAVEL
My sister and I learned to travel alone early.......
5. MOM AWAY FROM HOME
My Aunt Mattie, an amazing woman,  was like Mom when we were here.
6. STILL HAD RULES
The house was large and we had run of the place however, there were rules. My Uncle Kenny did not fool around when it came to chores.
7. CHILDREN LEARNED TO USE RESOURCES
We learned to share and be very, very resourceful. With Mike we had a lemonade stand, haunted houses, jam sessions in the basement, all night video game wars and just good old fashioned fun.
8. HARD WORK  
We learned the value of hard work....ask me about the decks another time.
8. FAMILY
We got to know our family very well.
9. VALUE OF MONEY
We learned the value of money.
10. LOVE
Two little girls learned to love and be loved by men that were not our fathers.....Uncle Kenny, our Grandfathers, Uncle Mitchell and Uncle Doug. WOW, I miss these men!
My Uncle's house in MD---home base for us!


Enjoy your children as they mature. Find something to love about every stage.

Please feel free to leave comments or questions, until our next date have a good one!
Mitchell got to sit on his kind woman's motorcycle in Tennessee.

No comments:

Post a Comment