Friday, August 17, 2012

Let's Hear It For The Boys And Girls

In 2009 when my hot date was 4,  I asked my mom to pick him up from Mother's Day Out. She called me after getting my hot date and asked me in an excited voice..."who is that adorable cherub in Mitchell's class?" It took me all of 2 seconds to realize she was talking about Jack. There are so many ways to describe Jack but the best way is to say, he is "unforgettable."

Mason, Mitchell and Jack in preschool on rodeo day with Mrs. Lawry

Yesterday was our last play date of the summer before we go back to school. The major players were three men and a little lady + siblings of course. Most of these children have been together since the age of three...in the same church, nursery and Sunday school classes, VBS classrooms, Mother's Day Out and Kindergarten Class. The friendships that have emerged have been such a Godsend.. Funny enough its not just the kiddos that have fun together. The mom's do too. We get a chance to catch up and then just be girls and talk.
Kaitlyn, Mitchell, Mason and Jack with siblings enjoying popsicles
The kiddos had a blast eating homemade Popsicles and getting wet in the backyard and just being with each other. At the end of the play date...all the pooped children piled into the Hostess' bed and watched a movie. It was a perfect day.
Some tired playmates!
Jack, Mitchell, Kaitlyn and Ashlee-Easter 2010
There is just such a sweet tenderness to all the friends my son has but most especially the boys. I sweetness that I thought (before I had children) could only be found in a girl. But that is not the case with these guys. Oh, don't get me wrong, they bang and are loud and now a little smelly but the tenderness with which they do certain things just fills a parents heart with such love you think it might burst.

The six year old's
Jack is just a ball of love and happiness. His smile and sweet voice light up a room. And you love to see him coming.
Mason is super inquisitive and asks very adult questions with such a childlike innocence and I think he would absolutely walk over hot coals to protect his sister
Mitchell is extremely  flexible and very gentle around smaller children, especially siblings.
Kaitlyn is the princess. Super neat and orderly and always wanting to please. But she holds her own with the boys and always has.

The end of the play date
Mitchell, Mason, Jack and Kaitlyn in back
Kenlee, Ashlee and Jack in second row
Bryan in front
But why is it important to foster great relationships for your children?
  1. All relationships take work....marriages, friendships, siblings, team members. All children learn to share and be aware of others at home, the next phase of that is learning to be a friend.
  2. The sooner you start the easier it will be for your children to get along with others and make friends. Mitchell used to always talk about Thomas the Train, it took some time but after I taught him to say hello first, friendships came easier.
  3. The ability to communicate is learned behavior. We all know adults who view communication as torture, I don't think any parent desires that for their child.
  4. Learning to play together today will help all children work together tomorrow. We all watch these children take turns leading and following.
  5. Model friendships and relationships for your children....they are watching us no matter what we think. I learned to be a friend watching my mother and grandmother. They seemed to be friends with everyone!
  6. Children need playmates even if they have siblings. My son spends most of his time with his Mother, Grandmother (LaLa) and Aunt Jill...we are also his playmates.
  7. Fostering relationships that parents approve of also helps children understand your expectations of them in the future. I distinctly remember I could not go into any one's house my mother did not know and I had to tell a few play mates that on occasion.

These are not absolutes but guides. As parents, whether we are married or single we need to prepare our children for adulthood. That does not mean that they cannot simply enjoy their childhood. Its important that children learn to make friends and communicate, we will not always be around to protect and make choices for them.

Enjoy your children at every stage. And until our next hot date........

No comments:

Post a Comment