Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Teaching Important Lessons

Mitchell’s handwriting had much to be desired last year. In fact I booked an appointment with Texas Children’s last year and had him assessed. And sure enough his fine motor was behind his age group and his gross motor was off the chart.  So, I booked therapy sessions at TCH. The therapy sessions went well for a month and then his therapist, Julie, said he was fine to practice at home. I was not in agreement but I could not afford therapy that wasn’t covered by insurance. So I worked with him at home as much as possible during the school year knowing we would ramp up in the summer. We did work all summer and three weeks before school I doubled his work load and told him that if he did his work and did not complain he could go to Toys R Us and pick out a new toy.
Mitchell working on homework

Sunday, we spent an hour in Toys R Us after church. I had a few rules before we went in and he came out a happy camper. I spent $50 on his toy and a game that I wanted. It was not an expensive trip considering what I got and Mitchell learned. Oh, you think he learned how to earn toys? He did but that’s not all…..Handwriting Without Tears
So what did Mitchell learn from all of this?

  1. A job well done has its rewards.  I put a copy of his summer work in his kindergarten teachers box, and she said he has made amazing progress and for him to keep up the good work.
  2. Perseverance pays off. He worked hard and there were tears but he never gave up.
  3. Setting a goal and reaching it is an accomplishment.
  4. Too many choices are not always a great thing. Have you been to Toys R Us, the place is HUGE, especially to a 6 year old? I think he was grateful for my rules.
  5. Learning to choose wisely is a priceless lesson. He wanted about 5 things before he made his choice. I asked 5 times to make sure and we even walked back down certain isles. He is very pleased with his toy.
TOYS''R''US

These are not absolutes but guides. Teach your children well and be a great model they are watching no matter what you think. Being prepared is one of the best things you can do for your children and their future.
Enjoy your children at every stage. Feel free to leave a comment of ask a question and until our next hot date, have a great one.

www.hwtears.com
www.toysrus.com
www.ascensionepiscopalschool.org

No comments:

Post a Comment